View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 12:21 PM
mpspeedy2

Originally Posted by jzaaboo View Post
I was working on some blocks that my grandmother made when she was pregnant with my oldest aunt. It made me think-what if my next 5 quilts were my last 5 quilts? Would they be the same ones I'm working on or thinking about making now? Because if they aren't, why not? Am I saving fabric because it's too cute to cut up? Am I making so many obligatory quilts that I'm not making the ones I want to make? Am I waiting to get better to tackle that tough one, or until I have more time? I'm fairly young, but you never know when the beer truck will run over you. Everyone's answer will be different, and I'm sure there will be some contrary replies; but for me, I think I am going to try to work on the quilts patterns I love the most, with the fabrics I love the most, for the people I love the most whenever possible.
I just spent 5 days in the hospital with a problem that may become chronic. While I was there my husband and I got to talking about what we are going to do with the rest of our lives. I am 64 and he is 74. He is still working at least 40 hours a week. We discussed moving to a Retirement home where on site health care and even meals would be available. As soon as I am able I will have to start getting rid of most of my fabric stash. It is something I knew was coming but of course no one wants to think about it. I have more finished quilts then I can use and everyone who I wanted to give a quilt to has one or more. At present I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month. It is a great excuse to still purchase fabric but it won't be fun if I have to pack it all up and move it. If we do move we will make sure there is room for my sewing machines etc. I own 5. I also have two treadles but I have no attachment to them. Aside from using them as an end table etc. I don't even know if they work or if parts are available.
I would welcome any suggestions. Sadly none if my children or grandchildren seem to be interested in sewing or quilt related projects. Ironically my daughter has a small business with a "Traveling Craft Truck" She parks it on the street in a small business type area and people can come in and work on small crafts that can be finished in an hour or so. She is targeting businesses who need or want a "team" building type activity for their employees. She posted pictures of a small group who came aboard and made name tags for themselves. She used her own skills to decorate the inside of the truck. The driver's seat is covered in crocheted Granny Squares. There are counters of various levels to allow for workers to sit or stand and cupboards to stow her supplies etc. Because of my health issues my husband may actually retire. If we move he will.