View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Caroline94535

I have a stack of Double Wedding Ring blocks/ovals that my Great Grandmother pieced in the early 1930s. In the 1960s, when she was over 80, she gave them to my Grandmother and told her to finish the quilt.

Grandma kept them until she was in her 80s, and knowing neither my Mom nor Aunts had any inclination to piece and quilt, she gave them to me and told me she did not have time to finish the quilt. It was up to me to finish the job.

I am now 59. Grandma died in 1987. Mom is "hinting" that she wants to see Grandma Betty's quilt on her (Mom's) bed.

I'm considering this thread a fire under my backside and will try to finish this quilt. Mom and I both agree it will have to be hand quilted - but I'll hire a talented Amish lady to do that part!

P.S. I was so blessed when I was age 5, to travel with my Grandmother (who raised me) to visit her mother, Great-Grandmother Betty. GGBetty and I were instant and lasting best friends. She was "ancient" and deaf since age 7 (scarlet fever). We talked and laughed and I got to sleep with her. Each night she would ask if I could hear the whip-poor-wills. She said that even after nearly 80 years she could still remember how they sounded.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 03-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.