Thread: Cast Iron
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
w1613s

I have a combination of Griswold, Lodge, and what is very elderly, not enameled, Le Creueset. They are adored and much used. I am always looking for pieces I do not have. AND I do have an unnamed darling as well. A 10" diameter fry pan that cooks like a dream and fits a 10" lid found at a totally different place. No name. No identifying marks. Just big, deep, and great cooking.

So. It has been my experience in my kitchen, in the rv, and over a grill that how well a piece of cast iron cooks has a whole lot to do with the iron it's made from. Impurities are found in cheaper, poorer grade iron. Impurities do not heat evenly across the pan. A pan that does not heat well does not cook well. I have been very satisfied as to the cooking of those three brands. Then there's also the thickness of the pan's bottom and walls. Thicker is better in my opinion.

As to price. Lodge has an outlet. Check it out and see and visit if you ever get in that neck of the woods. You will be pleasantly surprised as to the prices. Make certain the Lodge place will be open. We have visited two or three times. Even on days and times the website posted as times they were open. They weren't. Check by calling on the phone. Quite often you will find a piece of Griswold at a junk or consignment store. Or a yard sale, etc. Figure out what the piece is worth to you and "discuss" it with the seller. I have almost never seen a piece of La C.

And you may find some seriously awful looking pieces of wonderful cast iron. One dutch oven I gifted to my son had a black crust that was a real turnoff. Please know that I do not object to black crusts but I am not enthusiastic about buying someone else's black crust. I'd rather make my own. Black is fine; a chipping off black crust is another thng altogether in my book. And it takes some research as to the best way to decrust cast iron as well as a pair of thick rubber gloves and the other necessary equipment discovered while doing the research. There are acids, etc. that some dealers use to decrust. Some of them go down to metal. I, personaly pass on those. Don't know exactly why. Decide how you feel about the crust thing for yourself.

Forgive the length of this epistle. I am only "sorta" passionate about eating and what it takes to do a good job of it. My mother-in-law and her Griswold dutch oven are responsible. God bless and keep her. I think I can hear her laughing. Gonna go prep the rv for this summer's trek. My equipment needs to be in order: kitchen and sewing.

Have fun too.

Pat