View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Monroe

I went almost annually for about 11 years, then skipped a few. It had been held at the Lancaster Host, with a smaller show and many vendors at the non-affiliated Continental across the street. My understanding was that the person holding the rights to the Lancaster Host wanted to sell, but wasn't doing well finding a buyer. The AQS opened a show downtown instead- don't know if they bought the rights or went into direct competition. I went the first year of the downtown AQS show and it was very difficult getting around. Central Lancaster has narrow streets and limited parking for huge crowds. Paid extra for the show's hotel shuttle bus loop pass but the bus schedule was a disaster, and parking the car was worse. One bus was even hit by a thrown brick on it's travel loop. The show was crowded and very disorganized, and the vendors were complaining hotly about the costs and confusion. I spent more time and money at the Continental Hotel show instead. Free parking, easy to get to, a bit cramped. It had always hosted the vendors that weren't invited to the Lancaster Host or weren't willing to pay the high vendor fees for Lancaster Host or AQS shows. The next year wasn't any better, so I stopped going. I'd heard some vendors found the high AQS fees and difficult parking location made the AQS show too much for them. I'd hate to see it fold because it brought a lot of tourists, but the downtown location is untenable.