Thread: Thread question
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Eddie

Originally Posted by wesing
1st question: How much thread does it take to quilt a small quilt?
It depends on what type of quilting you're going to do. For example, free-motion quilting would take more thread than say just stitch in the ditch. But generally, you could probably make 3-4 small lap quilts with a single spool.

2nd question: The cones (5,000 yds) look huge. Will they be too big to put on the machine's spool (Pfaff 1200)? Along the same line, will the spool (1,200 yds) fit in the machine's spool tray (Pfaff 2038 and 1475)?
Not sure if it'll fit your machine, but you could but a cone holder with the arm that sticks up in the air and then thread it over to your machine. I love the large cones and have one of every color that CT makes. Actually, I also love ALL of the CT thread and bought every set they made also. Really nice not to have to worry much about matching thread when I want it!

3rd question: I understand I want to use 100% cotton for quilting. Is this true? If not, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using another type?
I believe that's true and the reason I've heard is that polyester thread can cut into cotton fabric over time, like razors sort of, weakening the fabric.