View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 06:28 AM
w1613s

My beloved Elna Super 62c died a few years ago after 30+ years of constantly sewing everything I sewed and that was a great deal in every category you can think of including the top to my husband's MG.

It is hard to top that Elna but a Bernina 1630 is making a run at it. A beautiful machine. Keep in mind the Bernina is computerized so no more car tops. And it is rather elderly - 18+ years, I think.. It was purchased by a noted Canadian quilter along with two other, identical twin Berninas when she was in FL and used while she was in the states. When she headed back to Canada, she took one and left the other two with a friend. The friend kept one and I got the third.

Recently my father gifted me with a Husqvarna Designer Diamond Royale. To date, and I am determined to learn how to make this machine sit up and beg and love it dearly and sew on it until one of us dies, it does some things the Bernina cannot and it does them exceedingly well; but, I have concerns that only time and use will clarify so it not fair to judge this one as second to the Bernina.

My local Husqvarna Viking dealer is marvelous and the servicing arrangement is very hopeful. Having a factory trained repair person in a Husqvarna Viking run repair and service facility is wonderful too.

Your talking to the other sewers on this board is an excellent idea. Don't forget to meet the owner of the dealership and discuss not only the machine your 're looking at but how the dealer does sales and repairs/servicing as well. If you are in a quilting group, see how they like the particular dealers. If you can't get the service/repair/ parts/accessories on the "perfect machine" that you are interested in, you've bought yourself a real problem.

Have a good time on the hunt. There are many great machines out there like Gram's Singer treadle and Grandmother's Singer 403 and the sisters of my long departed Elna.

Pat