View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:48 AM
KenmoreRulesAll

Default Another Singer: VS2

Some of you may remember the Singer VS2 whose CL ad I posted a few days ago in the Giggles thread.

I decided that someone on the QB should go get it and it appears that someone had to be me.

The cover in the ad was for a Western Electric. I let them keep it. The table appears to be some cobbled together non-Singer broken leg contraption. But it did come with a box of long bobbin attachments.

The head itself is in decent shape:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514121[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514117[/ATTACH]

The metal bits need Evaporust or equivalent and a dremel. There are small drips of paint here and there and I've managed to pry some of them off (latex, thankfully), some are over the decals and I haven't attempted to remove those. I have superficially cleaned the head with oil and cotton balls, going to an old undershirt for the dirtier spots. I took some Maas metal polish to a few pieces but only for a few minutes.

It needs a completely different and appropriate table and it needs a re-shellac, plus a thorough cleaning and polishing. The needle bar and wheel move very freely, so that's not a problem. The bobbin winder and pressure screw are fully operational as is the length screw. The presser foot is completely rusted to the shank. It came with two shuttles.

It's a nice machine and a good project. I'm just not sure I'm the man for it. I'll have to buy a dremel-type tool, shellac materials, etc. And I'll have to buy some time.
Attached Thumbnails _1014170.jpg   _1014165.jpg   _1014166.jpg   _1014168.jpg   _1014169.jpg