Old 03-20-2015, 04:48 AM
shayarene

Default Help I need advice on a little Princess Dress

I have not made any little girls clothes before. My granddaughter, whom I will never refuse anything, requested a barbie doll wedding dress so her barbie can marry ken so they can kiss. LOL And someone gave me an old wedding dress, so I cut it apart and started to cut out this princess dress for her to match her barbies dress kind of. Wedding dress was put together in triangle shaped fabric pieces, so really not as much fabric as one would think and pieces placed on the fold were a challenge and there is much more fabric in the little princess dress than one thinks and it is 3 layers. I ran out of fabric so I found some light pink and I cut the overskirt out of light pink and making all the bows out of light pink, if I can figure out how to make those, directions are complicating. Here is my problem, dress pattern calls for a zipper, I don't know how to do zippers and I don't have a zipper foot for my plain old machine. Therefore, I was wondering if there would be any way that I could somehow use velcro or snaps? the pattern doesn't have any overlap for velcro or snaps, so my question is this, if I take maybe far less seam allowance than called for, would that provide me with enough to sew on velcro? This is just for her for dress up anyway, but I don't want it to look gawdy in the back. After I figure out petticoat ruffles and all that fun stuff and sew the 3 layers if possible onto the bodice, I will be in the home stretch. This has been a huge project for me. Then I have to make the Barbie doll one. LOL
Thank you for any help you may be able to give me on this project.
Rachel