View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 AM
moreland

Originally Posted by JanetM
A friend has asked me to make her a Christmas tree skirt. I was thinking of making it out of velveteen fabric which I am finding very difficult to find. She wants an ivory colored tree skirt.

So far all I have found is real velvet which would be pretty, but here is my problem. I have never sewn anything out of velvet. I am wondering how I should finish the raw edge of the skirt. I am reluctant to "hem" it as hemming a large circle is tedious and difficult at best. I also don't think it is possible (?) to make a velvet bias binding due to the bulk of this fabric.

If any of you have experience with velvet, can you suggest a nice finish that isn't impossible to do well? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!
Just a thought--It is much easier to sew velvet if you use a walking foot. In fact, I bought my first walking foot years ago when I was making a velvet dress and could not get the seams to come out the same length. Using the walking foot keeps both layers moving at the same rate.