Thread: If you...
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 AM
Wonnie

I remember the old wooden screen doors and how they sounded when they opened and banged shut; 10¢ paper scrapbooks that we filled wth clipped pictures from movie magazines of our favorite movie stars; watching my mother use a wooden pole to pick individual pieces of clothing from the scalding hot, sudsy soap water to feed through the wringer of the washer to prepare for rinsing; movies for a quarter on Saturday where we saw the current newsreel, sometimes not one but two cartoons and two full feature films; I cashed in pop bottles I found for a nickel a piece and when I got a quarter I could buy either an Archie or a Donald Duck comic for 10¢, a double decker Gem City ice cream cone for 10¢ and a Reese's peanut butter cup for a nickel; canned goods stacked in rows on an inclined shelf and you took the bottom one and the next one in line rolled down and took it's place; soda fountains and nectar sodas; frost malt machines; big chocolate malts that came in heavy, tall, fan folded paper containers; waiting your turn at the meat counter in the grocery to get hand cut meat and nothing came prepackaged; playing jacks; Audobon (sp?) Society pamphlets we got at school on a regular basis highlighting a single bird in gorgeous color and telling us all about them; stores run by locals, not conglomerates; gym class and our blue bloomers!!!