View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Friday1961

Call me dumb, but I don't understand the benefit of the flange. Either way, stitching is going to show on the back, which some of you seem to object to. Is it because the stitching (thread color to match the flange) on the front will match the color of the flange fabric on the back?

It doesn't bother me at all that stitching shows on the back. Stitching is all over the quilt, anyway! I usually sew my binding to the back and then machine stitch it down on the front, using a thread color that matches the binding. One line of stitching appears on the back, but so what? If I've used a binding that goes well with the quilt, why would I care? If I don't want it to show, I machine stitch the binding to the back, turn it and handsew it on the front. I confess that I do often use the backing as binding, if I like it. I just turn it down and sew, either by hand or machine.

I also admit that I've never made a quilt that I thought would pass the inspection of judges at a quilt competition. Not to say I am sloppy -- I try to make my quilts as perfect as I can -- but I assume there are very precise rules in judging quilts and I may not have met all of them (in that I don't know what they are!). That I'll probably never enter a quilt in a competition doesn't bother me at all, even though I admire those who do -- and win!