Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 AM
cheerbowgal

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Steve, thanks for the info and the picture. It reminds me a bit of the Monopoly iron. I doubt it would get by the TSA. Or sadly, maybe it would.

Yeah, I'll not buy another Rowenta product. This is my second bad experience with them.

Here are the presses I mentioned above:

Singer Magic Press 4:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482330[/ATTACH]

(The cloth board cover was in the laundry when I took the photo.)

Elna Elnapress 'Pinkstar':

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482331[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482332[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482333[/ATTACH]

The Singer appears to be heavier duty (heavier, clunkier, sole plate is firmer on the board, sole plate rocks back and forth to allow for ironing uneven items). Has a few dings but it's in good shape. Gets blisteringly hot and could do serious damage to an errant hand. Watch out! $21 + $10 shipping.

The Elna appears to be BNOS. I don't think it's ever been used and it was still in its original packaging. $30.

I've only tried the Singer so far. It's very fast. I took it over to mom's house and she did some linen napkins and a tablecloth in record time. She did linen on the cotton setting because it's so hot. I got it for pre-pressing because I don't want to sew wrinkled stuff.

Do folks not like these machines? I had to do some digging and there are some on eBay but I don't know anyone else who has one. Maybe these were a fad. It's probably just easier to fire up a hand iron because taking this thing out of a closet and setting it up every time would be a pain. You almost have to have a dedicated space for it. It does a great job, though. If you do a lot of ironing you might want to check it out!
Is this what you paid for them? I'm looking for one and every time I find one for sale, the people are trying to get back almost everything they paid for them