Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Bobbinwinder

Originally Posted by cjt_mama
Ok, minor dilemma. I was finishing up a block today and somehow (by the means of a really angry quilting god!) I ended up 12 inches square rather than 12.5... Blah!! What are peoples thoughts on this? Should I add the 3/4 in strips to square it up to 12.5 or....?????
If you ended up with a perfect 12 inch square then there's something not so scant about your 1/4 inch seams and/or your pressing is not quite as effective as it might be....possibly even an additional problem with measuring/cutting being undersized by the width of the line on your ruler. Sad to say, but all those slight unders/overs are hard to notice until you get to the final measurement. Not knowing which block you made, I don't know how many pieces...how many opportunities there are for these types of booboos to accumulate. Oh, also, using multiple rulers can be a source of error...mixing brands that use different width markings and or different slippage. Rotary cutting done with the blade angled rather than perpendicular to the ruler is yet another step in the piecing process that can result in loss/gain of a thread or two. Even the size of the piecing thread can effect outcomes. Perhaps the block you chose would benefit from some open seam pressing to lessen the loss. Believe me, I'm all about creative ways to cover booboos and I am delighted to the max that rarely will anyone spot the goofs in a finished quilt. However, I have been blessed with the friendship and tutelage of one inhumanly-perfect piecer...truly amazing woman too... and though I don't always practice what I've been taught, I am supposed to share what I've been given. Everyone can improve...even the best...erring is an opportunity for learning and/or remembering. A bit more concentration and time just may be the key that opens the door to our personal trophy room...where we go when we're really proud of the work we've done...that place beyond satisfied. All of that to say this...imho, a swap is a great way to learn, stretch, practice, improve....it's GREAT because it happens to be the most funnest way (yes, I said that) to do all that...and you get to give and receive from friends you haven't met...blocks will be made... and relationships will develop and grow... IT'S ALL GOOD. I'm grateful for the chance to join you all in this swapping.