View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 PM
joe'smom

I'm not sure anything will make quilting more fun if it's truly something you'd rather not deal with. It's hard to tell from your post if that's the case or not. But having equipment that makes it easier to quilt would at least make it easier, if not fun. I'm not in love with the look of machine quilting the way I am with hand quilting, but I very much want to finish more quilts, so I am learning to machine quilt. I have a Handi-Quilter Sweet 16, and was at first dismayed at how difficult it was to move the heavy quilt around (arthritic hands); but then I learned about the Jennoop quilt suspension system and the Martelli gripper ring, and now I can move my quilt without a struggle, and I do find it fun. I would not have had the courage to try it on a small throated DSM, though. My hat goes off to those that do!

One of the most helpful things I came across was Leah Day's introductory video at her website. She remarked that it takes about 3 quilts to get the hang of FMQ. When I heard that, I relaxed about the process and gave myself permission to ruin my first three quilts. What I mean is, I decided that for the first three quilts, I would just keep going rather than stopping and taking out imperfect stitches. This is also how I learned to hand quilt; I just kept on stitching on that first quilt no matter how bad it looked. It was a learning quilt, so it was okay. Maybe get your FMQ feet wet on a quilt that doesn't matter all that much to you.