Thread: If you...
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 AM
GingerK

Yes, party lines were great for catching up on all the news/gossip and my Uncle was always well informed--but they also helped him save his farm the day that his straw bale stack caught on fire. Within 15 minutes the whole neighbourhood had gathered and helped him save his barn and cattle.

I remember being sent out to play (at 4 or 5 yrs old) and no one checking on what I was doing for hours on end. Mind you, I knew I was limited to our farm yard and not to go near the cattle. I remember riding my bike to the pasture and bringing the cattle home at milking time--without being told to. I remember shelling buckets of peas--hated that job, would much rather shuck corn or slice beans.

I remember the one roomed school house where I took first grade--30 of us from grades 1-9 except there was no one in grade 4, and most of them were relatives. The next year we were bussed to a town school and I was terrified--more than 30 kids just in grades 1&2 and I only knew my cousin and he was a BOY!! The transition was difficult.

I remember my Mom almost dying from appendicitis. We had no local doctor, the nearest hospital was 30 miles away and there were no ambulances. Not all those old times were good times.