Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

Crawling on the floor to baste a quilt has not been an option for many years - tow truck anyone??? Not quite, but when the knees don't cooperate it gets harder and harder to get up off the floor. I had a huge kitchen/dining room table with a Formica top that was perfect for pin basting quilts. I could tape the backing, batting and top with masking tape to secure. then beginning at one end of the quilt I would roll it up as I got it pinned, adding masking tape as needed to secure the quilt. Now I use my smaller dining room table (couldn't bring both tables when we moved to an apt., add the extra leaves, and proceed as above. I have also used a very large cutting mat, placed it on my DH's bed, which is higher and more accessible than my bed, tape the layers down and get DH to help me pin. I need to be able to move around the quilt to pin as well as sit when the legs decide enough is enough. When possible I get my best friend to help me pin baste, using banquet tables at the church, or at her home with her large dining room table. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat" is what you should use. I have had to make adjustment s over the years to accommodate my aging body and abilities, but whatever it takes so that I can quilt. Without quilting I become a very grouchy person. LOL.