View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
RST

Do you feel like the designer name in your jeans makes them less your own?
The only scenario where it makes sense not to include maker label information is if you are selling a quilt that the buyer wants to be able to pass off as their own work -- and don't laugh, but there are etsy sellers who will offer to do that for crafty-wanna-bes.

I think that the reason that auction buyers are purchasing a handcrafted item is because they value a unique, personally crafted item -- not because they necessarily want a warm blanket.

The quilts that I donate to charity auctions go for quite a lot of money -- more than I could sell them for. People are buying it for the "story" behind it, so I carefully write the product description for the auction to appeal to the venue.

For example -- I donated a wallhanging to the early intervention center where my son had therapies. Most of the clients there, as well as a majority of the people attending the auction, have family members with autism or spectrum disorders. The quilt I donated was called "It's a spectrum thing". I quilted tiny motifs into the quilt that reflected the days of therapy my son spent there, including "goldfish crackers" and therapy balls, and some of the shapes featured on the wall murals. My label linked to my blog where I described in more detail the whole creation process, as well as the usual information "Made by RST, Seattle, WA. 2010" Because the wall hanging had more meaning than "oooh, pretty", it sold for around $300.

Giving your quilt a memorable and attractive name, as well as writing a product description, a lot like that blurb next to a product in a catalogue, will make it more attractive to bidders and bring more money to your charity.