View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Eddie

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
Originally Posted by Eddie
Here's a quilt I finished last night in Moda's "Kashmir III" fabric line last night, using a layer cake. It measures 55" x 73" and the pattern is called "Ashley's Journey" from the "Piece of Pie" book by Brenda Bailey and Bonnie Bailey. I did free-motion quilting all over it using a larger spacing than I normally do. This is #7 of the 8 Christmas gift quilts that I need to make, so only 1 more to go!
I sure do need that pattern, will you share it with me?
Sure, it is a super easy one to make. You take all your 10" layer cake squares and cut them into 3.5" x 6.5" rectangles, i.e., make a single cut through them 3.5" in from the edge. Then sew those 3.5" rectangles to the 6.5" rectangles of different colors so that you end up with a new set of layers that now have two fabrics in them. At this point, your layers are 10" x 9.5" in size because you now have a seam running through them. Turn the layers so that the seam is horizontal in front of you and cut them up the middle on the 5" line so that you have two sets of 5" x 9.5" rectangles. Do as before and sew those 5" rectangles to other 5" rectangles of different colors so that you end up with layers that are now 9.5" square. Lay them out in a 5 x 8 block pattern and sew together the blocks and rows. Easy!