Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Sometimes I'll put a block in upside down, on purpose.
I LOVE when people do that - one of my grandmothers used to include some subtle "flaw" in many of her quilts - a print used in place of a solid, a pinwheel that spins the opposite direction from all its mates... It was fun to hunt for it, try to find it, it wasn't always easy. My sister & I often were given matching quilts as Christmas presents and we'd have to discover the 'flaw' in each of our quilts and that's how we'd be able to tell them apart.

She didn't do it in ALL of her quilts, just enough of them so that if you didn't find the weirdo block you had to wonder if you were just missing it. Sometimes it was VERY subtle; my Mom had one that had one square that was just slightly a different color; it wasn't noticeable until years had gone by and it faded differently from the rest. And Gran would never admit when it was deliberate and when she'd just run out of a certain fabric, LOL.

Somehow I haven't started doing that in my quilts yet. I think they're wonky enough on their own...maybe when I reach her level of skill I'll feel differently!