Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Rose_P

If you can get to a store, it would help you a lot to see the various options in person. My DH was resistant to the IKEA idea until I dragged him down there, but he spotted the thing we bought first and we both like it a lot, which is important because it's in our TV room outside my sewing room door. It's a pair of the tall, deep Pax units, filled with shelves and with the translucent sliding doors option (They have several different door styles). It holds a ton of stuff, all neatly hidden from view, and the sliding doors do not impede traffic or bump furniture as swinging doors would. They glide smoothly, and the whole thing feels rock solid. I didn't buy any of the drawer units, but they are available, and the store has worksheets with all the specs. If you are planning to order online, I imagine you could talk with someone at Ikea who could mail out or fax whatever information you might need.

It took 2 experienced men 3 hours to install these, and it was worth every penny for that labor, but if you're younger and stronger than we are (and more patient!), you could certainly do it yourself. In addition to the space on the wall and floor where you're planning to put it, keep in mind that part of the assembly process involves laying parts out on the floor, and they are big, so you have to allow a lot of room for the work. It's not as if you could have it assembled out on the driveway and then brought in. It's heavy and unwieldy, especially if stairs are involved. If you plan to move at a later date, moving companies do not like to deal with this kind of thing. You might have to unassemble it, and to me that is such a daunting idea that we plan never to ever move again, if at all possible. If we do, it's staying in the house. I think the new owners would appreciate it, however. We certainly do.