View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I agree with Quilting Haven, you can go buy a cheap throw or quilt; but making a quilt and giving it to someone special means that you have taken the time to make something special just for you. My Mom taught me to sew while I was in Grade School, easy aprons for starters, then after taking Home Ec. in high school I made all of my clothes for years and years. I stopped for a while, but started again after I had kids and made lots of clothes for my daughter, although before she was out of grade school, unless I let her pick the fabric and pattern, she wouldn't wear it (very picky I know, but that's the way it was). When I started quilting, the first and only quilt that I hand quilted was for her; but after developing carpal tunnel syndrome I learned to machine quilt and I've never looked back. I've lost count of the number of baby quilts, lap quilts, bed quilts, wall hangings, table runners, placemats, etc. that I have made to either sell or give away; but quilting brings balance and serenity into my life. When I can't quilt I get very cranky and my husband will "suggest" that I start making a quilt. Most people have something that they like to do, you like to sew and never apologize for it, it's part of who you are.