Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 AM
kellen46

Default durable pattern paper that is practically free

Here is an old trick I have been using for years. To make a durable pattern paper do this. You will need some white tissue, and some white garbage bags. Go cheap...dollar store cheap for these. cut open the garbage bag so you can use a single layer. Sandwich the plastic between two pieces of tissue paper. Fuse with a hot iron. Be careful not to get any exposed plastic on your iron. If pieces are too small they can be taped together when cooled. I have used them to trace sewing patterns from books, or off of tissue patterns. I have used them to trace quilting pattern and then sewn, sans thread, over the line to make a pounce pattern for my blocks. I have used this technique to strengthen flimsy tissue patterns, just substitute tissue pattern for one side of the tissue/plastic sandwich. I have also used this concept to make some fancy papers very strong, Bonded to map paper to make lampshades, bonded to holographic tissue to make journal covers, really anything that can go under a hot iron. Also I have bonded fabric to tissue to make book cloth...a cloth that is impervious to the moisture of glue when covering book boards to use in book binding. Book cloth is very expensive and limited in color and design. If you make your own you can use any fabric. Book cloth is also good for covering boxes. This is only the things I have come up with so far, I am sure there are lots more uses I have not thought of. What else can all of you come up with. I have an old thrift shop iron I use for this so if I get some plastic on it I can scrape it off later without fear of damage, oh and use a dry iron for this. Another related tip for book binders and box coverers, the cardboard on the back of paper tablets is just as good as commercially bought book board, and it is free, well sort of.