Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
The quilt top is rolled on one board and the backing is rolled on the other board.

The link below is for Sharon Schamber's method of using the boards for hand basting. I found the basting a bit tedious and resorted to quilter's safety pins. The next quilt I do will be basted with the Elmer's Washable School Glue. I wish she had used a different color of backing fabric to demonstrate her method and she is doing a small project. That being said my DD and I have used her method for quilts up to king size. I have two folding plastic tables butted end to end for the big quilts. The demo is in two parts I believe. Up to now I have used double sided scotch tape the secure the quilt top and backing to the boards but I am thinking that covering them with the flannel would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

So glad to hear someone else comment on Sharon Schamber using the same fabric for her quilt "top" and "backing" when demonstrating the rolling on boards method. It has always puzzled me as to why she did that, when it would have been so easy to use a different fabric, and would result in less confusion.

Still have not tried this method but think I will. If the quilt is small enough, I don't have many sandwiching issues but larger ones can be problematic, especially if you have a table that is not large enough.