Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
I love the case and needles - and the crochet hooks - Score! I love vintage sewing/needlework/crafting anything.

I tried knitting years ago. After poking myself in the eye - twice - I gave the knitting needles away and took up crochet; it's much safer.
And see? I always thought the crochet hooks looked just wicked and was sure I'd stab myself with those! I use one tiny hook to pull stray threads out from under a light colored quilt top when it invariably gets in while quilting but otherwise have no crochet skills at all.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
It's a bit hard to see this on my monitor, but the needles are Red, White and Blue. I suppose now you'll be looking for the missing ones
Yes, exactly - red white and blue. They're white needles with both ends painted. I've seen a couple of photos online where the blue or red is almost completely worn away so this might be a relatively ununsed set - or the needles that aren't missing weren't used a lot. Being cellulose though, a lot of them likely broke before now too.

From what I've seen of the few etsy and ebay auctions, the likelihood of getting the rest is pretty slim. They're very much in demand. Of course, should I come across some, I wouldn't turn them down.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Well, the Canadian Red Cross encouraged knitting too - so far my favorite knitting poster is "Remember Pearl Harbor? PURL HARDER"

http://elinorflorence.com/blog/wartime-knitting
They did indeed but I don't know if we had special needles made for us. So you've seen these before?