View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Bee Beatty

My dear Terri.....I so know what you are feeling. Watching my Mother lose life almost daily has been the most difficult thing I have ever faced. When my sister came to visit her in the nursing home it was right after Mom's stroke and my sister hadn't realized how hard that would be to face. Realizing that she most likely would not get better and continue to lose memory and her ability to speak would also worsen - was very sad for our family.

Today...some 4 weeks later, she still doesn't recognize my husband. She often tells me that Willie Nelson had been to visit her earlier or she went to Miami Beach yesterday to visit old friends. I laughingly tell her to let me know the next time she is going on a trip and I will go with her. Acceptance is a beautiful gift from God...but it doesn't come easy and when it comes it is often unwelcome. I am reading a wonderful book now - written by Billy Graham called 'Nearing Home". He published the book in 2012 just prior to his 93rd birthday. He talks about living life as an old man....it is very revealing and healing at the same time.

We are blessed to have the privilege to live life into our 80's and 90's. My mother and I now read to each other. She is participating in social activities now and going to the dining room to eat her meals with 3 other ladies she has become friends with. I bring her home for a visit 2 afternoons each week. She doesn't get out of her wheel chair now and has found her way to acceptance. I spend an hour or more with her everyday. We laugh....we read.....we talk about her memories and sometimes she is still quite able to get her point made.

But all in all, she loves the hugs and kisses...I am so glad that she is close enough to still kiss goodnight.

Praying courage and peace for you and your sister.

Bee

Last edited by Bee Beatty; 03-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.