Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Jeanette Frantz

Tammi, I was thinking about the knitting program at the onset and during WWII. I seem to remember that the soldiers' socks were falling apart due to extremes in climates. As a result the soldiers would acquire what was rather crudely known as "foot rot" because there was nothing between the harsh leather of the boots and their feet when the socks gave out. This may just be hear-say, but the patterns you linked to would seem to indicate something of that nature and also many of the refugees from WWII had no clothing, including warm clothing. As to how the needles got from America to Canada, well I can again only theorize. During the 60's and early 70's America was involved in a war in Viet Nam where many (some 58,000) Americans lost their lives fighting the communist regime of North Viet Nam. At that time, the draft or call from the government agencies for young men in America to serve their country, including service in Viet Nam, was mandatory. I remember that thousands of Americans fled to Canada and other countries in attempts to avoid the draft for military service, and subsequently made their homes in those countries. That ought to tell you about how old I am -- like almost anyone, sometimes I feel a LOT older than I really am. I, too, have worked on computers/typewriters for more years than I can count. In fact, March 18 marked 30 years that I have worked for the same employer. I've been working in office work, typewriters/computers, etc., since June 1963, which makes about 52 years! Oh, my, it must be getting time to retire! LOL! Who can afford to??? Not me!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-29-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: correcting sme wording