Thread: Motor Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 PM
trivia42

Default Motor Questions

My FW motor is cranky. It spins when there's nothing drawing on it but when I put the v-belt on it just stalls. The machine gears all turn freely. I went to LSMS today to get a new belt, thought that could be the problem but alas, it was not. The brushes are 3/8" or better and the armature is showing its copper. There appears to be nothing physically wrong with the motor except it has seen a lot of use, apparently. I asked what could cause a maintained motor to just wear out and LSMS Guy wasn't really sure. So, do the motors eventually just give up the ghost or is it worth trying to find a cause?

LSMS has a FW motor in house they will sell me for $100, I doubt that includes any wiring labor though. I don't know if that price point is good really but beater FW's are rare here. Alpha-Sew had an aftermarket for $165. They did say that 221 motors are notoriously fussy to take apart and reassemble and they don't like doing it. They made the offer to try but no guarantees it will work.

I am really sad. I know there are other well liked machines but I really love piecing on this one and would like it to work for many more years if possible.