Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 PM
ArchaicArcane

Jeanette, You're probably 100% right. I'd completely forgotten about the draft and all of the Americans who came here. I would expect a number stayed and put down roots. It's funny, one of my favorite bands did that early in their career and when I was reading this this morning, guess what was playing?

I read a little about the foot rot. Several sock changes a day -might- prevent it. What terrible conditions to live in. I think they talked about it in some of the Red Cross literature, possibly off that link I posted.

I'm not old enough to retire but I did leave computers and find something I like better and it's almost like being retired.

It seems to me that a cable stitch might be like tension or timing. A little bit of boogieman status but if you take it slowly and logically, it's probably not as hard as it seems. That's the theory I'm operating under anyway. I did 11" of 8" width of a stocking stitch last night without dropping many (which I also saw immediately and fixed) or picking up any stitches so I'm feeling cocky. The beginner knitting book I have shows cables and I really like that hat and gloves... it might be worth trying.

Aurora! Yes, they had a conversation about these needles 2 years ago. I snooped but there was a lot of conversation but still not too much in the way of first hand experience with them. One person called them a Red Cross Knit Kit but when I Googled that it looked very different.

Miram - What? We never go off topic!??! So, you're saying knitting causes higher literacy? That's funny because I feel like I'm reading a different language when I'm trying read a knitting pattern!

Suzanne57 - That's an impressive amount of knitting. Especially the socks. I'm told that's a somewhat more advanced topic when it comes to knitting. I do a lot of research on YouTube too. I told the friend of the family who did our eavestroughs (I think you guys call them gutters?) that I learned to shingle last summer on YouTube. I think he almost fell off the roof!

dirty1mom - I may just have to take you up on your offer! I'm bound to get stuck here when I finally get going. I have a list of things as long as my arm to complete this week then once the Easter long weekend hits, I'm taking some time to relax so I might actually get a chance to try some things out. Cables seemed fairly logical when I skimmed the directions in the How To book but when I actually have needles in my hands, we shall see. I look like a rookie juggler if I try to manage more than 2 at a time.

sews - I saw that listing too. They're not bone. They're definitely a "plastic" of some sort so I agree with most of the comments from Knitting Paradise that they're celluloid. Either way, I think they're gorgeous so even if I don't use them, I love having them and looking at them.

Sock needles? I had thought the ones missing were DPNs. What are sock needles like?

I think I will still try the cables, mostly because I don't know what I don't know at this point. I never thought I'd sew, let alone fix sewing machines or understand tension or timing, nevermind teaching on tensions and timing sewing machines. I guess I like a challenge and no one I know around home knows how to do them so I can't cop out and ask someone to do it for me.