View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM
romille

Default Want to try out EPP, advice?

I have a pile of UFOs that I plan to finish this year before starting a new project, but, well... I am having that itch to do a hand stitched project, and visions of darling hexies are dancing in my head.

EPP is new to me, but I do have some hexagon papers and glue sticks that I bought a while back sitting around, and I ordered a couple little EPP block kits from Etsy today along with a template for fussy cutting...

I have seen an image floating around Pinterest of a box of hexies sorted by color, and I have heard other people saying they just stitch hexies whenever they need to keep their hands busy during free time, thus building up a stash of them. This appeals to me as something I could do when I can't be at my machine. (even though I really should be working on the other hand stitched projects I have waiting for me)

So... what's your advice on delving into the world of EPP? I don't have any particular projects in mind, but it would be fun to start making hexies to possibly use in making a bag or some other small project before I tackle a whole quilt.

I am looking for advice along the lines of:
  • glue vs thread basting
  • how do you store your hexie stash
  • favorite patterns
  • favorite tutorials/sites/books
  • anything you wish you had known/done when starting out