Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
jlhmnj

Hi Laceyj,

Minnie is a lovely, 3/4 size, Davis model N made in the 00's.

For needles, the original would have been called "Davis Long", 1x2, Boye 10, FF and quite a few more lesser known names. This is a roughly 2" needle with flat on one side. These needles are no longer made but can be found online.

There is a replacement needle available that is currently in production that is similar to the Davis Long, the MTx190. Main difference is this needle has a round shank instead of flat and must be aligned in needleclamp manually.

The serial number is D1699105. The "D" denotes a Sears model, perhaps for Davis and is only found on machines Davis made for Sears.

From the bed down, this Davis manual might come in handy:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Enjoy!

Jon

Originally Posted by laceyj View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the "shop" and to treadle machine ownership. I bought a lovely lady at our local Peddler's Mall. She's a Minnesota Model D. Made by Davis, sold by Sears in the general vicinity of the 1900s to 1910s. She's not in bad shape. Some of her decals are worn a bit and she was really dusty. I've oiled and cleaned the machine itself, but haven't touched the cabinet yet. She also came with a pretty little tin of accessories. The problem I'm coming across at this point is needles. She has a really long needle with a groove down the side. Anybody know where I can find replacements or of any modern needle that will work? Oh, and if her model number will help is D169910 5 (there is a space between the 0 and 5 on the plate. So I'm not sure if it's part of the model number or some other number that means something else!) Thanks for letting me hang out with all you wonderful folks!

Here are some photos of my girl. I think I'll call her Minnie

Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-31-2015 at 11:48 AM.