View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Pin Cushion

Default Total newb from Texas

I inherited my sewing machine from my grandmother about 11 years ago. It's a New Home (Janome) 445. I'm guessing it's a '60s vintage judging by the 2 pin plug and all metal construction. I'm considering taking up quilting. It looks interesting and only moderately expensive. My mom will retire in September and she will have more time to help me. She may pick it back up herself. She recently bought new computerized machine. I think she would be excited to teach me. (She had all boys.)

I'm going to lurk awhile and see if I can work up the knowledge and courage to start a project. I have some simple (but large) ideas in mind. Right now, I'm in the "clean and lube the machine and learn how it works" phase. I downloaded the owner's manual and am self teaching until I get a chance to pick Mom's brain. Wife doesn't sew. Any basic tutorial videos would be appreciated.

If you can't already tell, I'm a guy. I'm happily married with 3 sons. The oldest is in the USAF. I'm a field engineer and repair emergency power equipment for a living. I'll keep my macho attitude in check and remember that for a while, I am the dumbest person here.