Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Caroline94535

I have a lot of "dog blankets and sheets" and that always need a rip sewn. The younger dog, Sam, likes to chew. Once I have possession of the sewing room again I may save the 252 for dog repairs.

I was reminded of another couple jobs I did with this machine.

An older friend was being inducted (?) into the Order of the Eastern Star and needed a formal-type dress. This was the 1970s; she chose a lightweight poly knit material. I made the white, floor length, A-line dress. It had a full-length center seam, a wide pointed collar, with a short open V-neck, sheer long sleeves with cuffs made from the dress material. My Grandmother made the two buttonholes on the cuffs by hand; I did every thing else and we were all pleased with it. I need to find, and scan that photo. Precious memories.

Another reoccurring job was to turn the collars on a co-worker's BDU uniforms. He was a Master Sergeant and could certainly afford to replace his uniforms as often as necessary, but he would pay me to turn the collars when they were starting to look tired. They were set on a band above the shirt neckline; I'd pick the seam out with a seam ripper, turn the collar around, re-seam it and by being careful with the stitch width, you could not tell it had been done. He stretched more wear out of the uniform and I had a little more pocket money. I was a Sgt. and managed to just fine to replace my uniforms; I didn't turn my collars. But to each his own.