Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 AM
romille

Question New to EPP, need guidance on using the patchwork

I am having trouble finding tutorials for this, most tutorials seem to end with piecing. I just started EPP over the weekend, mostly just for practice to see if I like it before diving into a whole EPP quilt. Right now I have two rosettes completed... the first was a free 1/2" hexie kit given out as a promotion to snare people in. First hit is free! I also had a kit of 42 paper hexies (1"?) with a mini charm pack. I basted all those, and put together one random rosette with them. I think I am getting the hang of stitching them together now.

I want to turn my mini charm pack into one large piece of random patchwork hexies, and use it for a little bag to carry around my EPP projects. The trouble is... I can't find anything that tells me how to work with the pieced hexies! So I am hoping you folks can point me in the right direction with tips or links.

My main questions are:

• are there any tricks/gotchas to squaring up the patchwork?
  • if I add yardage, how do I piece it in? (like if I just have the hexies to the side, or along the bottom)
  • how do you approach piecing hexies beyond a rosette?
    • stitch in pairs, then stitch pairs together?
    • stitch in rosettes and then stitch those together?
    • just keep adding one at a time until it is the size you want?
  • when do you start taking out the papers?
    • the end? or do you take any of the middle ones out as your patchwork grows larger?

Thanks in advance!!