View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
JanieH

I am also a retired teacher. Congratulations on your retirement and want to thank you for all you did for the children!

We are used to as teachers to "gearing up" at the end of summer in preparation of the start of school. A wise retired teacher advised me to plan something specific for this time of the year - a special vacation, a project, etc., that will involve you and change your focus from getting ready to go back to school. It sounds like you may already have that in hand with your move to Florida.

Be aware of conversations, especially on the phone, that start with "since you're retired now...." People are very willing to help you with filling the many hours of your retirement. Be cautious of taking on too much too soon. Have a set response ready, especially if they ask you if you are busy on a certain day/time without first telling you why they want to know. My favorite is "I have tentative plans; what do you need and I will let you know if I can change them." That way I find out what they want. I tell them I will call back as soon as I can and let them know "yes" or "no". If it is something major (help with a doctor's appointment, etc.) or something that I am sure I can do or handle, I can accept. If not, I can decline graciously. Remember, your tentative plans may be to sew, take a nap, or read. You don't have to tell them what you are going to be doing.

When YOU are ready, consider volunteer work. It might be at a school. I found it hard to work in a school because I no longer had the authority of a teacher - that was just me. Many of my friends do volunteer in schools and enjoy it. Guess I am too much a control person. I did help, though, several years selling tickets for and working at the school carnival at my great niece's elementary school. It was very "unteachery-like"!

I had an opportunity to join a volunteer committee for the city at the Houston Police Department and have since served on several committees for them. I enjoy the interaction with adults and the feeling of giving back to the city. Several of my friends have volunteered at hospitals, nursing homes, charity thrift stores, zoo, museums, etc. Check with your city's website; they frequently post committees, boards, and events that they need volunteers for. Again, when YOU are ready, you will find what interests you.

Best of all, have fun and enjoy your life and your husband! You have earned it!

Last edited by JanieH; 04-06-2015 at 10:55 AM.