Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM
auntnana

Just posted this in another thread. I do not use the fabric sheets pre made for this as I've found they do not last. I've had great success with printing on fabric ironed to freezer paper but there are some things you need to know. You MUST prewash the fabric and use no fabric softener. The chemicals and sizing have to be removed for the ink to penetrate. No fabric softener because you'll use it in the treatment. You need to treat the fabric after washing it and before printing on it. I've used this method http://www.theidearoom.net/2010/03/g...-creative.html instead of using bubble jet as it is expensive!
It has to be an inkjet printer. Laser printers will not work. Most importantly, you have to use pigment inks and not dye inks. Just out of sheer luck, my HP printer (inkjet pro 8100) inks are pigment inks. I also let mine dry for a day and iron it a lot to set any remaining ink. I did a test run and washed the fabric in hot water. It did fade very slightly after 5 washings but I can figure no one will wash a quilt in hot water 5 times! You can usually google your printer ink cartridge and find out of it is dye or pigment. Dye ink is not water proof or colorfast.