Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I've been misting mine with vinegar and leaving the fan on overnight, but it doesn't always work. It smells musty when I come in the next day.

I have a desk size ironing board with the top fabric stapled in place over ironing board fabric so it is not easy to remove it to wash it.

Are there any ODOR FREE methods to get rid of the smell that won't leave a residue on the cloth that will transfer to my quilts or scorch?

Sounds to me like you have a moisture problem with your ironing board, probably from spraying with water as you iron. You can even get moisture from starch, sizing, and even the vinegar. The best suggestion is to buy a couple boxes of baking soda and spread it evenly all over the board. Let it set for at least a couple days, and then vacuum the baking soda off. You can do this more than once if you need to. (In an pinch, , you can lay a sheet over the baking soda, and iron If you need to, while waiting for the soda to do its job) Any residue that may be left will continue to deodorize, but not stain your quilts. Baking soda will remove odor and moisture. If this doesn't work, you make have to pull the cover off and let it dry. When you put the cover back on, if there is a way, drill some holes through the top, to prevent moisture being held in the layers and turning funky smelling. This is why store-bought ironing boards are not solid, they always have breathing holes in them.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-10-2015 at 01:12 PM.