View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 PM
manicmike

Question Best machine ever?

I was adding to Sewnoma's "Fixed my 332" thread when I realised I'd gotten so off track I was going to cancel the message. Thought it was interesting enough though:

That machine [Pfaff 332] is the ultimate one stop sew anything machine. It's old, free arm and German (and Pfaff). I'm quite envious: My place is over full with machines but I'd make room for this one.
There, I said it
Excellent buy, Sewnoma, they need frequent lubrication at the hook race, but a truly amazing machine. I only have the non free arm 260 (my 2nd 260) and I'd say that the Pfaff 230/260, Singer 201, Necchi Supernova and Bernina 730 are the only sewing machines I've been really taken aback by, because they were so much better than I expected.
The middle two machines are very cheap in Australia, incidentally. The Necchi has a bad reputation (it's like a Ferrari - amazing performer but won't work if not given frequent attention) and the 201 only does straight stitch.

Most desireable: 222K, 320K2
Rarest: 320K2,
Fastest: Pfaff 260, industrial 96K (scary fast), Bernina 642-1 (but hard to control)
Most beautiful: Singer VS2, Singer IF (15-1), Singer 12 MOP, Bernina 642-1 (because of the cabinet)
Loveliest to sew with: Bernina 730, Singer 201, Necchi Supernova, Pfaff 260, (and any treadle for the meditative effect of treadling)

So, what does everyone else have experience with that really blew them away? I figure you'd remember the feeling: Quickened heartbeat, gaping mouth, feelings you had when you met your life partner.
My list is Bernina 730, Singer 201, Necchi Supernova, Pfaff 260.

It has to have really surprised you though: Any free arm Pfaff will not make this list, because regardless of how good it is it won't match the surprise I got with the 260 and thus won't blow me away.