Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
That is discouraging, Mike....but for the time being I'll keep working with it and see if progress can be made. Nothing appears broken in any way, and this is one you can take the top off and really get a good look inside.

I did adjust the height of the presser bar, which was very low. It's now set so that, with the foot raised, the needle clamp, as it goes to its lowest point, doesn't quite make contact with the foot. It looks right, not too high or low, so that shouldn't be part of the problem, should it?
You're fixing each problem as it comes up Dianne, and very quickly. You're obviously very competent and learning how to do all this. You'll end up with a new machine (it'll feel like it anyway) and be something of an expert. I'd have dropped it only because I'm spoiled for choices. Sorry for being discouraging.

You're definitely getting there, and raising the needle height will have helped a lot. How far did it need to be raised? Did it stop the 'pop'? If not, look at feed dog height: Being too high can cause them to be moving while the needle is still in.

The more I think about this the more I doubt that the feed timing has been tampered with. Nobody would do that, so it's probably a combination of small things. It's getting better every time you fix something anyway, so well done