View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 PM
annesthreads

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Are people really that shy? That it keeps them from attending a class about something they are interested in? I'm not really believing it. Having someone else there to help their friend during class would be a distraction and is in a way insulting. If I were teaching it I would feel like I wasn't being taken seriously. Maybe your replay should be "Why would you want to pay for a sit through a class that is way too easy for you?"
Yes, there are people who are that shy, or have anxiety problems or are just totally lacking in confidence around creative work. Ask me how I know...! Like the other poster who responded to this comment, I just push myself to do whatever it is, as I don't have anyone to go with anyway, but it's not easy, and I can see how if I if I DID have an enabling friend, I'd be tempted to hide behind them. But that doesn't make it a healthy thing to do...
Linked to this is the issue of experienced people attending a beginners' class. Over the years I've been to several classes, quilting and other subjects, where there've been people there who should have been in an intermediate class. Some instructors can handle this and keep them busy while they focus on the beginners, some can't, and the more experienced person can then be a pain, whether they intend to be or not, disturbing the flow of the class and, in the worst scenario, diminshing the confidence of the beginners.