View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I'd never have thought of removing a fixed horizontal bobbin case, attaching a weight then dropping it. Ingenious, but Is this method really in any 328K manual? I'd be surprised. Just pulling the thread and stoppping when there's a little tension works for me.
I've had the tension spring deformation thing happen too, on a 99K.
I doubt it's in any manual other than the TFSR manuals. Most owner's manuals say something to the effect of "If the top tension doesn't fix it, the bobbin tension may need to be adjusted". Not really helpful.

Yes, the 99 is basically the same case and it's the first one I ever found a deformed spring on. I don't know why it happens but I know that the one I was working on at the time had some thick thread on the bobbin. Perhaps that's all it takes? The springs for the 99 and the 401 are still available but the replacement ones are very brittle and I've had one snap at the screw hole before I ever got it fully tight to set it back to the original setting.

Originally Posted by cjr View Post
I changed rhe needle when I started quilting this quilt. Used reccomended needle

I spent a lot of time yesterday fiddling with this machine and more time ripping out quilting. I'll seeif i can get DH to take apart. I did download instructions from above mentioned web site.
Caroline, could you possibly thread the machine with 2 different colors and sew a test strip on some scrap fabric and post a photo of both sides? Sometimes all of our eyes together can spot something...