View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Jessie R

Wow JenniePenny! I took that name on a google stroll and found that there are many variations of that pattern, both old and new. Then I found this -6th photo from top of page: https://prairiemoonquilts.wordpress....rm-quilting-2/
I couldn't stop gazing at it. Its like someone took the same quilt top I have and did a fantastic job quilting it. Yes, there is a small difference in the pieces but its sooo close. I know I won't do that good a job, but I will give it my best.
I have started by hand quilting each piece sort of 'in the ditch' only I am quilting on top of the seam to give it more stability. Then, my arthritic hands holding up, I hope to go back and quilt a more vintage pattern. Not sure just what yet. It seems too fragile to do by machine. Some of the fabrics seem to be flour/feed sacks and do not have a great thread count. Add to that the fact that I washed it years ago because it was dusty & musty -- mistake, caused raveling of many of the pieces.
Also, since this was one of my grandmothers last quilt tops, I figure here hands were about as tired as mine are now. The stitching was rather loose and large. Bless her. She dosen't know what a treasure she has left me though it wasn't one of her best.
And bless you, JenniePenny. You have helped me feel closer to my grandmother and a past era. (sigh, :-)
P. S. Been meaning to ask you; what does "masters the grey" mean ?

Last edited by Jessie R; 04-14-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Post Script