View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Barb in Louisiana

On this webpage, someone mentioned that moistening the fabric, then freezing it, before ironing could help take out the wrinkles. NOTE: I have not tried this.

http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/fo...arks-in-fabric

The quote from the page: Another way to get out stubborn creases in the fabric is to dampen it and place it in the freezer, then thaw it and iron it. I remember when I way young my mom would freeze my step-father's Navy uniforms before ironing them. I think it has something to do with the water expanding when frozen pushes the fibers of the fabric apart, removing creases.

Later down the page Granny Agnes replied: This may be unconventional but a tried and true trick adapted from the almost dark ages. Mother, and Grandmother before her, would dampen a cloth in vinegar to press the seam into the men's pants. I took that and worked it in reverse. I half fill a spray bottle with water, fill it with white vinegar and spray this on those difficult creases. Let it sit a few minutes and press with a hot iron. I started with the vinegar full strength--yes, it smelled like the pickle factory, and worked with dilutions. Half and Half has never failed me so now the squirt bottle is a fixture at my pressing and cutting station. I need to clarify that I am a quilter and it works for those hard creases from fabric being on bolts.