View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Ps 150

Default Clean Slate Questions

So, a little back story first:

I have a bad back, two bad hips and and even a bad leg, so climbing stairs is not always easy for me by the end of the night. Currently my sewing room is downstairs on the first floor and my bedroom is on the second floor. Because I sew in the morning, DH and I agreed that we should move the bedroom downstairs and the sewing room upstairs. We had already started planning a full house remodel, so this decision came at a good time. Soooooo, that means that I have a fully clean slate. There are two rooms in the upstairs front of our house (the bedrooms are in the back of the upstairs). Now that our two daughters are in middle school and we really don't need a full school room or a toy room (we homeschool), those two upper front rooms have no current purpose, so that will be my new sewing quarters since the natural lighting is better. We've gutted the rooms and even knocked down the wall between them, so I have a LOT of space in there.

Here's the question part of this: I have a fully clean slate. I can design this room any way I'd like. DH and I are doing the bulk of the work with my brother, FIL and own father are helping with the things we don't know how to do (both of our fathers are contractors). So, I'd like to take full advantage of this clean slate. I want to take advantage of any space saving tips that you might have or any other things you'd like to do if you had a clean slate.

I do plan to take the interior wall (that also is the hallway wall) and put built in shelves between the wall studs. That will give great space for patterns and such since interior walls do not need insulation.