Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Honchey

Nina, it took me 2 weeks of ripping then sewing & measuring every section as I went along.. They all had to measure 8-3/8" finished with the 1/4" seam allowance around the edge of each block.. I pp'd the flying geese sections and where it came the point part I sewed just outside the lines on the top of the "v"..that helped to make sure the star points would have some room...Then I figured if the blocks are supposed to finish at 8.5" all I needed was to sew just past the 1/4" seam allowance...it worked for the most part. the problem with the points was that when I sewed at the end of the points seam it would wiggle and the seam allowance was gone..I noticed that when sewing with the paper attached on the flying geese that didn't happen..so when I sewed the sections that didn't have paper under it I just slipped a piece of paper under the seam and it sewed nice & straight... so as I was doing my group a favor by tackling this project I learned something new..place pieces of paper under when you don't want the seam intersection to go wonky...I also made sure every white block was the exact size needed. and I pinned like crazy..if you were to zoom in on the photo you will see that every seam intersection is nested 98 % perfect....I was thrilled that they came out so nice...
I went to Wilmington today to get some fabric for the border & backing...it's supposed to be bordered with the w/w but didn't have enough fabric & Hobby lobby's new bolt of it was off color and the print was hardly printed..so I went to Joann's and got a light gold with white dots and a dark navy with faded eagles on it with some gold stars for the backing & binding I brought the quilt with me to lay it out and asked for opinions and the all liked what I picked out..I just hope the group likes it as well..
I thought the name was appropriate as well.. Now I can go back to one of the 2 Mysteries that have been draped on the back of a chair.. OK will be happy to see # 8 as a flimsy...I will too!!!

Bev, I would love to see your sectional...I've been thinking about getting on of those in the future...
Time for me to grab a bite then relax for awhile...Have a good evening everyone..H.