View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Monika

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Some of the Dog Whisperer's advice might be helpful. I have watched quite a few of his shows and it is amazing how quickly he can change dog behaviors simply by understanding what to do. I'm not an expert, but I can pretty much guarantee that the verbal "shaming" after he chases a cat is not going to work -- it will always come too late after the fact, so that the dog will not make the connection between the cat and the shaming. Basically he will feel punished but not understand what it's for. Any correction has to be done in a specific way and immediately (preferably before the behavior even occurs). My guess would be that you need to encourage "bonding" between the dog and the specific cats. There are techniques for doing this (I think clickers work for this kind of training -- on both the cats and the dog!). Actually, your best bet might be to consult a good dog psychologist for advice.
Charley is so cute and bless you for adopting him. I agree with Prism. I f you haven't seen or read much of Caesar, I highly recommend him! My husband and I were just talking the other day about what good success we have had with his techniques. Easy and makes sense. Remember he is a dog and not a small person. Shaming is not what works.