Old 04-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Koriana

Default Rescued String Quilt Progress...what next?

I found this string quilt (with deteriorating material) in a box of fabric that my SIL gave me, though neither one of us remembers ever seeing it before. We asked throughout the family but no one claimed the unfinished project, so I took it apart and rescued the intact fabric and added material from my stash building on the colors in the original project...blues, yellows, greens, teals and black (I subtracted the red). It's currently about 45X58" and my daughter has claimed the finished quilt, but I need to make it bigger at her request. I've thought about adding a thin border (maybe 1/3 the size of the blocks) of string pieces and/or adding some applique flowers. The "floating" blocks were added with the help of my granddaughter and kept as a memento for her mom. (Thanks for the suggestion, Lynnie.)
Below are pictures of the original quilt top and it's current status. Thanks for looking and any suggestions on additional borders would be appreciated. Also, opinions on tying, "big-stitch" quilting or machine quilting would be helpful as well.
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt-original.png   qs-string-quilt-progress-041815.jpg