View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 AM
linda8450

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530. I too have no interest in getting an embroidery machine. They are expensive toys with all these supplies you need:

Embroidery supplies you need....

Backing - Allstitch, Hollingsworth & Vose (Stitch Backers)
Bobbins - NEB, Coats, Magna-Glide, Clear-Glide, ESC Economy Bobbins & Bobbin Cases
Cap Frames - EMS HoopTech
Clamping Systems - EMS HoopTech
Hoops - EMS HoopTech, Quick Change, Allied Gridlock, Durkee, Fast Frames
Hooping Equipment - HoopMaster
Needles - Organ, Groz-Beckert, Schmetz
Scissors - Gingher
Software - T-Quoter, E-Z Estimator, Great Notions
Supplies - Peggy's Stitch Eraser, The Embroiderer's Buddy and more
Thread - Madeira
There are other threads besides Madeira, lots and lots of brands. Don't have any of the "supplies" listed here, and have lots of different scissors as well, Gingher isn't the only brand out there. I don't have the cap hoop (might want one later) and every one that sews has needles. There are specialty needles available, but I don't buy them. All sewing takes tools, some quilters have every ruler imaginable, I don't. Machine embroidery is different. Takes a few different supplies, like stabilizers. But it isn't a different planet!

I have been doing ME for about 10 years. I started with a Viking D1, then SE, now have the DIamond. I love it! I quilt, sew and ME. Thread, stabilizer and some temp spray is all I have purchased that wasn't part of the actual package for embroidery. Hoops come with the machines (unless you want additional sizes). I advise get the biggest hoop capability that you can afford, as too many people get a 4x4 and only want to do labels. Then find out there is a whole world out there of in the hoop designs, large jacket backs, etc. that they would love to try but can't because they only have a small hoop. I have been sewing since I was 4yrs old, did 75 square dancing dresses at one time in 1978, and didn't even know emb machines existed til I got my first one. I 71 now, and I am hooked! You might not be. Chocolate and Vanilla and Neapolitan! But if you are interested, and it isn't a financial strain, I say go for it. I have met sooo many nice folks, just standing in line at Hancocks or Joanns, that mention their machine and we get to talking and then sewing together! It is different, it isn't for everyone. The folks that bought the machines and don't use them are missing out! Just sayin' ....and it is a waste not to use what you have. Maybe you would rather have a long arm? A large throat for quilting? But there is a different, creative world out there with ME and I for one am glad I didn't pass it up!