View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
mjpEncinitas

I was considering buying a sewing machine with a good embroidery module but decided not to. Here's what went into my decision. Might or might not apply to you.

I have more quilt projects, that I want to do, then I have time for now. I still have many different quilting techniques I'd like to try out. You may have a lot more time to spend on this than I do.

From the research I did a few years ago many folks recommended buying a separate embroidery machine anyway so I felt it was something I could pick up at a different time. This seems to be true for you too.

I like to do original designs for quilts. I don't like to use things already designed. For me the funnest part of quilting is designing the quilt and picking out the fabric. I know I could do original embroidery designs but it seems like the learning curve and messing around with software for it would be more of a learning curve than warranted for the enjoyment I would get out of it. Also it seems like this type of machine requires more software updates and things of this nature, which makes the machine obsolete sooner than without the module. I have an electrical engineering background so my motto on technology is always will it actually make my life easier or is it just going to
add a lot of time to my work?

I did buy a machine that has lots of interesting stitches on it and letters on it and I've had a lot of fun learning and using these. It was a quick learning curve.

I hope these considerations help you figure out if the embroidery unit is right for you. I think it makes sense to wait on it. Play with the machine and use all the new features. Then if you still crave the embroidery unit buy it, You'll know you made the right decision by waiting.