Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM
sval

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
SVAL, I'm finishing a Dresden now called Fancy dish and it has curved ends to each blade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517602[/ATTACH]

I made a heat resistant plastic template to trace around, rotary cut the straight lines, scissor cut the curves. I sprayed the top of the blade with starch and used the top of the blade template to press the curves over (withdrawing it as soon as the fold was starting to crease) then pressing the fold. Worked a charm! I hand appliqued the blades so did not use Elmer's for this but the starch was enough.

I'm sure by drawing up the straight sides of a a blade, then finding some object around the house (saucer, can, anything round) you'd be able to find a nice curve to use for the top.
Hope this helps!
That's the technique I've decided to go with. And I did search the cupboards and found a curve fairly close to the pattern. I figure as long as they are all the same that's what matters, not that they match the pattern.
It came out best when I starched each blade(3 in ea fan) seperately and then sewed them together. Otherwise the "inny" wasn't good looking.
So now I just need to make a set of really good templates to work by.
Your's is absolutely stunning. Gives me encouragement.
SVAL