Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM
dee1245

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Any kind of fabric can be used for quilts. Some of the most beautiful antique quilts include velvets and silks. Probably the biggest thing to beware of is shrinkage, especially in a dryer. Wool will shrink a lot and maybe several times. Cotton can shrink up to about 20%. Poly/cotton will shrink very little if at all. If you are mixing fabrics be sure all have shrunk as much as they are going to. You wouldn't want to make a beautiful quilt and have it shrink unevenly, even if you like the crinkle look. I made a lot of clothes out of poly/cotton blends and they wore beautifully. Many of the scraps were used in quilts and they also wore beautifully. They advantage to using old clothes is that they have been washed several times so you don't have to worry about shrinkage. Quilt for the joy of quilting and use what you like and can afford. Don't let anyone dictate what fabric to use.

I also had a poly double knit quilt that my Mom made for me in the 70s. My daughter has it now. It still gets plenty of use. I expect the sheet she used for backing will wear out before the double knit top does!
My MIL made each of my 3 boys a quilt of poly dbl knit. The backs had to be replaced from plenty of use and launderings, but not the fronts. I have had to repair some of the piecing, as it was all hand sewn and has come apart, but other than that, lasted for 30+ years. And all of them are very warm quilts.